Life lessons from Chubby (my dad) and other smart folks I’ve met on the road.
I found it!
Yesterday I told you about my first 8-second WHY ME.
A kid of 19. Green as a goose. Selling real estate. My first “professional” job.
NO! Day after day that’s what I heard.
NO! A very discouraging word.
What to do? Chubby advised,
“Greg, you need an 8-second WHY ME. It’s got to be an IRRESISTIBLE reason why you (and only you) should be the ONLY choice to sell anyone’s home.”
What did I do?
I doubled the incentive for other agents to sell my listed homes. I paid them my entire 6% commission instead of the typical 3%.
In my listing presentations I explained to sellers that, with this incentive to other agents, I could attract more showings and sell their home faster, for a higher price, than anyone else.
Here was my plan…
- Sellers would see the benefit of hiring me.
- I’d list a bunch of homes.
- My signs would pop up in lots of yards.
- I’d run ads on my listed homes.
- My name would become known.
- I’d be flooded with buyers from my signs and my ads.
- I’d sell some of those buyers my own listings and earn the entire 6%.
- I’d sell the other buyers other agents’ listings and earn 3%.
- After a while, even more sellers would see my success and call me to list their homes.
- It would snowball into a flood of buyers and sellers — a great success.
Then I could discontinue my commission giveaway.
Did it work exactly as planned? NO!
I DID NOT discontinue the plan. I DID IT FOR YEARS.
Thanks to Chubby’s advice, I became #1 and was driving a silver Lincoln Continental in less than a year.
Love you Dad. Wish you were here.